Journalists help us make sense of the horrors, challenges, and hope as the COVID-19 pandemic’s toll on the U.S. grows. Here are pieces I’ve found useful.
- Oliver Milman at The Guardian: Trump’s devaluing of science is a danger to US coronavirus response, experts warn
- Carolyn Y. Johnson & William Wan in The Washington Post: Trump is breaking every rule in the CDC’s 450-page playbook for health crisis
- Caroline Chen, Marshall Allen & Lexi Churchill at ProPublica: Internal Emails Show How Chaos at the CDC Slowed the Early Response to Coronavirus
- David Michaels at Undark: Paying the Price of Science Denialism … Again
- Jamil Smith at Rolling Stone: We Don’t Have Time for This: Trump’s racism isn’t ancillary to his inept response to the coronavirus pandemic — it is part of it
- Lisa Friedman: Coronavirus Doesn’t Slow Trump’s Regulatory Rollbacks
- Alonso Soto at Bloomberg: Nigeria Has Chloroquine Poisonings After Trump Praised Drug
- Amy Goldstein in The Washington Post: Trump ban on fetal tissue research blocks coronavirus treatment effort
- Aram Roston & Marisa Taylor at Reuters: White House told federal health agency to classify coronavirus deliberations – sources
Worker Health & Safety
- Maryn McKenna at WIRED: The US’ Health Depends on How It Cares for Health Care Workers
- Thomas Kirsch at The Atlantic: What Happens If Health-Care Workers Stop Showing Up?
- Melissa J. Perry, Rosemary K. Sokas & Peter LaPuma at the National Employment Law Project: To Protect the Public Health, Lawmakers Must Help Keep Healthcare Workers Safe
- Somini Sangupta in The New York Times: A N.Y. Nurse Dies. Angry Co-Workers Blame a Lack of Protective Gear.
- John Elligon & Nellie Bowles in The New York Times: They Clean the Buildings Workers Are Fleeing. But Who’s Protecting Them?
- Monica R. McLemore at Scientific American: COVID-19 Is No Reason to Abandon Pregnant People
- Joia Crear-Perry at Essence: Black Mamas Can Thrive During Childbirth, COVID-19 Or Not
- Emily Bazelon at The New York Times: The Coronavirus Becomes an Excuse to Restrict Abortions
- Garnet Henderson at Medium: How Abortion Providers Are Defying the Coronavirus to Continue Care
- Sabrina Tavernise, Audra D. S. Burch, Sarah Mervosh & Campbell Robertson in The New York Times: ‘We Have Lost It All’: The Shock Felt by Millions of Unemployed Americans
- Vann R. Newkirk II at The Atlantic: The Kids Aren’t All Right
- Joseph P. Williams at US News: Rumor, Disparity and Distrust: Why Black Americans Face an Uphill Battle Against COVID-19
- Melissa Boteach in The Hill: The coronavirus is decimating childcare providers. Congress must act
- Bryce Covert in Glamour: ‘Home Is Not a Safe Place If You’re With an Abusive Partner’
- Tim Fitzsimons at NBC News: Coronavirus behind bars: Prisoners being freed to slow spread in ‘virus vectors’
- Alia Wong at The Atlantic: Why Millions of Teens Can’t Finish Their Homework
- Helen Branswell at STAT: What we’ve learned about the coronavirus — and what we still need to know
- Tara C. Smith at SELF: How Far Are We From a Coronavirus Vaccine?
- Michael Halpern at Scientific American: On Coronavirus, Bypass the White House and Turn to the Experts
- Bob Bauer, Ben Ginsberg & Nathaniel Persily in The New York Times: We Must Vote in November. This Is How to Ensure That We Can.
- Scott Greer & Julia Lynch at The Washington Post: These social policies could help the U.S. cope with the coronavirus pandemic
- Ed Yong at The Atlantic: How the Pandemic Will End